Collapsed Ikoyi high-rise: Bodies of Osibona, developer, US-based friend recovered, 38 others recovered; new female employee set to wed in Dec among the dead

Bob-Oseni, a real-estate dealer, was on his way back to the US, where he was resident, on Monday, when he got a call from Osibona to check out the project.

1
134
The bodies of Femi Osibona, developer of the collapsed Ikoyi high-rise building, and his friend, Wale Bob-Oseni, were among those recovered on Thursday

The bodies of Femi Osibona, developer of the collapsed Ikoyi high-rise building, and his friend, Wale Bob-Oseni, were among those recovered on Thursday from the building site in Ikoyi Lagos.

Bob-Oseni, a real-estate dealer, was on his way back to the US, where he was resident, on Monday, when he got a call from Osibona to check out the project.

The 21-storey building in Ikoyi Lagos crumbled on Monday around 2pm when Osibona, who owned the project, his friend Bob-Oseni, his clients and workers were on the site.

Reports state that no fewer than 40 corpses had so far been recovered from the Ikoyi site, a number which is at variance with the 32 bodies which the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, said 32 bodies were recovered.

The father of an 18-year-old boy, Edward Godwin, while in tears, said he was not allowed to identify his son’s body despite the governor’s assurance.

He said, “I honestly needed to see my son yesterday (Wednesday). I’ve been to the general hospital to check those injured, but my son was not there. I thought I would be able to see him today, but I’ve not been able to see my son.”

PUNCH Metro observed as a black Toyota Highlander reportedly owned by an aluminium fabricator trapped in the rubble at Ikoyi was driven away from the site on Thursday.

An anonymous government official confided that 35 males and three females were brought out dead from the rubble as of 11.50am on Thursday.

More bodies were yet brought out after that time. A female new employee, who was to get married in December, was among the dead.

Speaking on why families were not able to identify their corpses, Gov. Sanwo-Olu said autopsies had not been concluded.

“The coroner inquest takes their turn and the certification by the pathologists are currently going on. We’re pushing them to ensure they can work very quickly to make, if not all the bodies, some of the bodies ready by tomorrow (Friday).

Sanwo-Olu, on Thursday, declared three days of mourning for the victims of the collapsed building.

Nigerian governors seek Supreme Court order to share ….

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.